Antique Furniture/chippy paint table

Question
chippy paint table
chippy paint table  
I bought this chippy white table at a flea market for 20.00. It is very sturdy.  The wood on the x stretcher seems to be veneer. The chippy white paint is original. It's a very dark wood from what I can see underneith the paint, maybe a walnut? Sadly i think someone had put bolts in the table top. I was wondering what type of table this is and style, era, are these called fluted legs? Also, what would a table like this been used for? Thanks for any history you could give on this piece.

Answer
Table would not have been painted originally.  It was made in the 1910-20s.  It would be walnut veneer on the top and aprons and on top of the stretchers.  sweet gum for the legs most likely but possibly tulip poplar.  there is reeding on the legs above the bobbin and below the urn.

I am guessing it is about 30 by 30 inches??  if so it was a lamp table, end table, and could have been used as a game table as well.  they were called all three in catalogs.  style is colonial revival.

hope this is what you needed.

thanks

Antique Furniture

robert klein