Antique Furniture/Stand Up desk?

Thanks again for your earlier help.  I found this "desk" on the trash last weekend.  It looks like someone sanded it and saved me some work.  Anyway, there are 4 legs and 2 have broken dowels.  This desk would be kind of short, but it is in really good shape...  Is there any value to this?  Since it was free, and sanded, I could try to stain it and use it in my house.

Thanks in advance,

Hi Ben,

Perhaps you need to ask yourself why this desk was in the trash. To my eye it looks
like a pile of firewood, but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

It appears to be a homemade piece with those surface mounted but hinges.
The value would be based on how much time you plan on spending restoring it.
If it were me I would pass.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.