Antique Furniture/what kind of chair is this?

I purchased this chair at a small auction house outside Philadelphia approximately 1986.  I've tried to identify it, but haven't seen anything else like it.  Ideally, i would like to reupholster and re-finish, but not if i'm ruining it's value ( a la Antiques Roadshow).  Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Hi Ellen,

You need not fear of hurting the value of your chair.  It is a simple factory made chair
of no particular value. Whatever tasteful improvements you make can only increase it's value.

Currently I place a value of $50. to $75. on it.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.