Antique Furniture/Rolltop Desh

Lock mechanism
Lock mechanism  

Robert - attached are two photos of a roll top desk that I inherited from my wife's grandparents. They had it in their mercantile store which they bought in 1920.  I'm not as interested in the value as I am in the restoration and whether or not there would be a way to locate, manufacture or buy a key for the locking mechanism. The drawers (not pictured) are in good shape and lock when the top is rolled down.  I love this desk and will move it to my office after I clean it up.  Is there anything you can tell me about it.  Thank you very much.

nice that you have their desk!!!

the keys can be made by any good locksmith.  take the lock out and take it to them..  if not check our reproduction roll top desk hardware, one of those keys might fit.--if the lock works.  check the lock by trying to depress the sprind loaded tabs on the part in the roll.

restoration is very time consuming on a roll top so be prepared.

am checking my materials on the company.

not sure what you wanted to know.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.