Antique Furniture/Imperial furniture Evansville IN teachers desk

Question
Imperial furniture desk
Imperial furniture des  

Makers stamp
Makers stamp  
Mr. Klein,

Thanks you for taking time to answer my question. I have a desk that was purchased in the early 1960's used for 5.00. It has been well cared for but has some minor dark staining to the top. It is stamped with Imperial Furniture Evansville IN. The locking mechanism is still intact. If the top drawer is open the rest will open, if it is closed the rest of the drawers is locked. The feet have brass (I think) around the bottoms. I am curious about value obviously but I really like this little desk and am thinking of trying to refinish the top. I am hesitant to start a project like that without knowing more about it. It is well made and vey sturdy. If you have any input to offer I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you for your time.
Carrie

Answer
There is an Imperial Furniture company but this is Imperial Desk company.  two different companies.

Imperial Desk company operated from 1912 to 1966 when they were bought by dictaphone then merged into b l marble furniture company until 1971.

Your desk is built in the style associated with the 1920s as an office desk although they were sold in catalogs as home office and institutional.

if all is in good condition, drawers work well and surfaces intact it should sell after cleaning and waxing at 350-400$

I believe, looking at the pictures that a wax, Briwax, in a color a bit darker than the surface will work wonders on the surfaces.

hope this is what you needed.

thanks

Antique Furniture

robert klein