Antique Furniture/library table?

table legs
table legs  
I have attached pictures of a table I purchased simply because the wood is pretty and the legs are unique.  It measures 48"x32" with a 14" butterfly extension.  There are no markings on the underside of the table except a hand-written 221 at each end.  

Can you guess at the age and purpose of the table?  It seems a little narrow for a dining table but the leaf seems odd for a library table.  Also, can you tell the wood type?

Table is from the 1910-1920s and it is a dining table.  The woods in the top and apron are walnut veneer, the legs I cannot see the grain clearly are generally sweet gum.  Table has been refinished at some time as originally it would have been darker.  That does not affect value.

In a retail setting with a good smooth finish and structurally tight it would sell around 450$.

hope this is what you needed.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.