Antique Furniture/Morris Chair

Front view
Front view  

Morris chair reclining
Morris chair reclining  
The Morris chair in the photos has been in the family at least 55 years. It was refinished and new cowhide leather cushions installed. Original cushion was worn horsehair. I would like to know its origin. It does not appear to have the characteristics of a Larkin or a Stickley chair.Also, a guestimate of value would be appreciated.

The open rack, which is what the hardware on this chair is called that holds the bar or rod is one that has been seen so little that there is no confirmation as to which company made the hardware.  it is suspected that of the 1000 companies that made Morris style chairs, this was particular to one company and was perhaps made by or for only that company.

The chair is of higher quality in design and form than most chairs of this style.

Before going further, I would ask for more photos.  if you would copy and paste the post and add photos as attachments to one email and send them to me i would certainly appreciate it.

close and clear of the hardware, under the chair, rear of the chair and any thing else you think would help me.  Also a close clear picture of the lwood grain.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.