Antique Furniture/possible info on piece of funiture

front of furniture
front of furniture  

Wondering about age and value of this piece of furniture. It has been in the family for years. Have not found any marks.

This is a wonderful walnut and walnut veneer side lock chest.  Eastlake Victorian about 1885-1895.  The drawer joints are Knapp joints or scolloped and pegged.  Knapp invented the machine that makes this joint and it was patented in the 1870s and put into use in the late 1870s until around 1900 when it went out of favor towards machine cut dovetailed. Whenever you see this joint you can be sure it is from 1875-1900.

In a good shop and if this is in good condition it would sell wholesale at 7-800 and retail at 1800-2400.

hope this helps.

Please send me another and better photo for my files.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.