Antique Furniture/Questions about an old rocking chair

Question
chair
chair  

chair 2
chair 2  
We found an old rocking chair in a house we moved into in Western PA. The chair appears to be handmade (no makers marks that I can see) from wormy Chestnut. The arms seemed to have been glued together and are slightly pulling apart. Some of the glue joints are a little loose. No nails are evident in the chair itself. The seat has been reupholstered at some point with a fake leather on the top and denim on the bottom of the chair. The stuffing is primarily horse hair and hay. There are 2 sets of springs on the bottom of the seat - one side has 3 springs and is in good shape, the other is missing 2 springs.

I would like to know an approximate age of the chair and if it is worth restoring or at least reupholstering, and if possible, an approximate cost/value.

Thank you!

Answer
these empire style rockers and parlor chairs from 1900 are really will made.  unusual in chestnut, usually in birch and stained to a mahogany color.

covering is usually like you see, a fake leather, the denim throws me off.
if you like it have it redone, cost of wood restoration and gluing would be around 450 upholstery about the same.

hope this helps

thanks

Antique Furniture

robert klein