Antique Furniture/Rescued desk

Question
Desk, 1
Desk, 1  

Desk  2
Desk 2  
Dear Robert,

This desk had been set out on the curb for garbage pick-up.  I asked to take it and was told it had sun and water damage, but help myself, if I really wanted.  I did!  I had it restored and a split leg glued.  I cherish it and find it to be very practical.  The drawers are dovetailed (except the two small ones, which have mahogany bottoms), I think machined.  I failed to ask the restorer for age, style, wood or restored value.  SO, those are the things I'd like to know, if you would help me here.

Thank you - for the second time!
Christine

Answer
This is one of the most decorative and stylish spinnet desks i have seen.  it is from the 1920s.  wood is mahogany and mahogany veneers.  legs may or may not be mahogany, cant see them well enough in the photo.  dovetails are machine made.

Usually these are plain and boxy with turned legs but not reeded nor turned as elaborately as your are.  never seen one with the serpentine drawer fronts and the drop hardware is good too.generally these sell at 350 but your should bring a retail price of 8-900   in a store.  more in a high dollar city.

what a great find!!!!

Antique Furniture

robert klein