Antique Furniture/TALL Chair

Chair 1
Chair 1  

Chair 2
Chair 2  
Hi, Robert,

A friend bought this at a garage sale and gave it to me a few years later because his wife didn't like it.  I am tall and prefer chairs with higher seats, so I really like sitting in it.  When he bought it, the fabric was very worn old red velvet.  It was still there when he gave it to me and I thought it might be original.  Where it was thin, I could see burlap-looking strapping, over horsehair and springs.  I had the chair recovered and the wood cleaned and rubbed, leaving the stain and finish as I found it.  I don't know whether it is an antique or a reproduction.  Would you please identify its age, style and approximate value for me?

Thank you for your time and knowledge!

use the followup function and post one clear close picture of the crest rail of the chair and second one of the underneath of the chair showing the intersection of two seat rails and one front leg.

what is the height from the floor to the top of the front seat rail (wood that goes across the front to which the fabric is attached,not fabric)

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.