Antique Furniture/Trunk

I found this trunk cleaning out an old house, I know nothing about it but find it fascinating. My sister wanted to give it away, but I am not sure if there is any value in it. Looking for some insight on it

whoa!! no throwing away.

if it is not rotted on the bottom do this.

wash it with the water hose and sprayer scrub with soft brush while washing.
remove paper from interior.

let it dry.  remove the rotted leather, or not.

get a 1 inch golden taklon brush and a quart of seal coat shellac.
coat everything with the shellac.  three coats.  sand the wood with 320 no fil paper, wipe clean.  coat metal with flat black paint.

recoat with shellac but this time cut it 50/50 with denatured shellac.  rub with used 320 no fil.  then wax it all.  you can line the interior with fabric to store quilts, blankets or whatever.

when using shellac do not try to brush it like varnish or oil paint.  just get it on there and do not try to 'work it'.  it will smooth out when rubbed.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.