Antique Furniture/Value and Repair of table

Question
Table
Table  

Table top damage
Table top damage  
This is a 1924-1925 table No. 7512-35 from the Crocker Chair Company, I purchsed it for $30.00 at an antique shop.  I would also like your opinion on how to repair the top of the table. I do plan on using it as a plant stand, is it possible to just scrape  off the top layer where the wood is missing?

Thank you.

Answer
no no, no scraping off the veneer.  for now fill it with a water based wood putty, gently smooth it with 320 sandpaper (the fill only)  use blue painters table to mask around the area to be filled first.

color it to match with artists colors after smoothing.

done!  

Antique Furniture

robert klein