Antique Furniture/Value and Repair of table

Table top damage
Table top damage  
This is a 1924-1925 table No. 7512-35 from the Crocker Chair Company, I purchsed it for $30.00 at an antique shop.  I would also like your opinion on how to repair the top of the table. I do plan on using it as a plant stand, is it possible to just scrape  off the top layer where the wood is missing?

Thank you.

no no, no scraping off the veneer.  for now fill it with a water based wood putty, gently smooth it with 320 sandpaper (the fill only)  use blue painters table to mask around the area to be filled first.

color it to match with artists colors after smoothing.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.