Antique Furniture/William A. French - Minneapolis Chair(s)

Question
Full view
Full view  
Side View
Side View  
QUESTION: Hello,

I found 4 chairs today made by William A. French Minneapolis (Gold Sticker Label on 1 or 2 of the chairs). Took photos of only one chair around 6:30 p.m. so that factors into the lightening; took the pics outside.

This is one of the arm chairs. The other two are side chairs or without arms if that's not a correct description. I found some historical info on French - which you probably already know but I'll include with email I send to you directly with additional photos. Based on your past help with other pieces, I think the chairs are mahogany, made late 1800s - early 1900s.

I would like to know the chair style and design, actual date may have been made, value of all 4, and any other relevant info you can share.

Thanks very much, in advance.

Carole

ANSWER: made around 1915.  found an advertisement that had the same design in the front of a console table that is on the front of the chair although the legs on the console were not pretty like yours.

style is a mix as most things were.  the arms are reminders of egyptian and italian designs, legs a bit of jacobean and william and mary melded together and simplified.

i like this design.  not too busy but elegant.

upholstery is crooked.

if i had these, waxed, and reupholstered I would ask 250-300 each.  hard to sell a set of 4, 6 and 8 goes better.

thanks, hope this helps.

4 chairs
4 chairs  

Chair Arms
Chair Arms  
QUESTION: Thanks for your reply and all the historical information about the design, etc. I love the design, agree not too busy but elegant. lovely mix of styles

Re: upholstery "crooked", not sure what that means?  Don't like fabric texture or design, definitely will replace.

? - selling set of 6 and 8 better - Hard to sell set of 4 - correct? - even 2 with arms and 2 without?

Thrown off completely re wood identification because of condition of arms. Can you see well enough to venture a guess?

Arms completed devoid of color of the rest of the chair. Waxing or "staining and waxing? "

Will send a few photos of the more damaged areas, any restoring suggestions would be welcomed.

And thank you very much.

Carole

Answer

it isnt straight, the pattern tilts, quick job someone did

yes, sets of 4 are slower sellers.  a set of two armchairs along would sell faster that 2 with and two without.

someone sanded arms.  picture not in focus on arms but the seat rails were mahogany.

light sanding then stain then shellac

thanks

Antique Furniture

robert klein