Antique Furniture/Blanket chest

chest two
chest two  
QUESTION: We have had in our family for many years this painted chest.  I wonder if it is an antique and/or what the value might be.

ANSWER: use the followup function and post a full view picture of the chast and another of the interior.

whole chest
whole chest  
QUESTION: I am so sorry I sent you the same picture twice!  The tv on top is SO heavy I can't get it off to take a photo of the interior, but I think it is cedar.

this would be a decorated blanket or cedar chest made around 1915.  paint and decoration would be original  but it does appear that a gallery is missing from the top--the front post appears to have been cut off flush, often they had a 3-5 inch rise that connected the four corner posts with a gallery around the sides and rear of the top.

all intact it would sell waxed up around 350 in a store.

hope this helps.

is it made by lane?

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.