Antique Furniture/gate table unknown age or typ

inside of table
inside of table  
I purchased several years ago from a neighbor while she was down sizing. She purchased 20-30 years ago and was told it was an antique. There are some scratches on top. Seems to be original finish to me. I can not find one with similar edges. It appears much darker in person. The flash on camera lightened it considerably. I do not have an insert. It comes apart in middle but leaf would only add 10 or so inches based on how far it opens.

Can I use deglosser to clean it and then seal with a coat of oil or water based stain or should I leave it as is and let a real restorer work on it. I have two in college now so going to sell some furniture to help them stay out of debt. Thank you for your time. I have photos of underside and opening if needed to id the age or style.

i cannot see the edge treatment well in the photo

This is a 1920s gate leg table made of sweet gum wood.
I would recommend you clean it with mineral spirits then use a dark furniture paste wax only.  Briwax is good and can be purchased in a dark color.  Also Johnsons Floor Paste Wax but you will have to add some artists oil color to the Johnsons wax.

The mineral spirits will remove some of the gunk on the surfaces, wax will do the rest.  If the top does not come out like you want you can reapply the wax using #000 or #0000 steel wool just make sure when applying the wax with wood that you go in straight lines all the way from one end to the other.

That is all you need to do.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.