Antique Furniture/Mandel Brothers Chicago Table

Mandel Bros
Mandel Bros  

Mandel Bros
Mandel Bros  
Hi Robert, I bought this Mandel Brothers Chicago table sans top at a local thrift store. On the back side there is what appears to be a copper plate with a Mandel Brothers Chicago label. There's more wear on one side, but I loved the bones of it. Can you tell me what it's original use was? I am especially curious about the round piece with 2 holes on the top. Thank you!

You are missing the top of the table.  This was a 'game table'.  
the top would have been two pieces of wood hinged together at the back.  under the bottom board there would have been a wood ring attached to the underside of the table.  this ring would have fit over the disc you see now.

to use the table, you would rotate the entire top 90 degrees then you would unfold the top board and lay it out flat.  The sunken area is called the well.  This is where the cards, cribbage board, dominoes or what ever was kept.

these were used for the intended purpose in the 1800s through the 1920s, yours is from the 1910-20s.  Today they are used as occasional tables or hall tables either rotated and opened, closed or with the top opened with one half at 90 degrees to the floor or parallel leaning against the wall for display.

check here to see how it operates.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.