Antique Furniture/Antique Living Room Set

Love seat
Love seat  

Red chair
Red chair  
Mr. Klien,
I have a 4-piece living/sitting room set purchased by my grandparents in central South Carolina in the 1900s or 1910s.  The set comprises a love seat, two chairs, and a "glider" rocker, all in excellent condition.  they are all upholstered in gold plush fabric (from sometime in the 60s or 70s), except for one of the chairs which has red upholstery. As you can see form the photos, the pieces are rather crudely made.  Can you tell me anything about them, such as a particular style or their value? I have pictures of the love seat and chairs, but the glider packed away. I have more photos, but could only attach two.
Bill Osborne

the loveseat is a mix of empire and victorian style from around the dates you state.  wood for these is often birch and/or figured birch stained to look like mahogany.  The chair works but was not part of the original set.  Chair is earlier and is more in the eastlake victorian style.  wood is likely walnut.

as to resale pricing, in a retail shop as shown the loveseat would price at 300-350 and the chair at 150-200.  They are good pieces but do not sell high as so many were manufactured.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.