Antique Furniture/Cavalier Dresser

Cavalier dresser
Cavalier dresser  
Hello....I was wondering if you had any info on this dresser?  It was given to me by a friend (abt 50 yrs old?) whose mom won it in a grade school spelling bee.  The tag says "Cavalier - fine furniture since 1865."  I'm a furniture painter but don't want to de-value this piece as it's obviously an antique if it was worth something?  Thanks so much!

Hi Amy,

Your dresser appears to have been made in the 1930's during the Art Deco period.
It is not an antique since it would have to be 100 years old to qualify.

Personally I would not paint the chest and hide all the beautiful wood. I would
have the top front edge professionally repaired  and polish it up.

Best wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.