Antique Furniture/Kittinger Bookcase ID T-615-3L-D.H-0

Question
Kittinger Bookcase ID T-615-3L-D.H-0
Kittinger Bookcase ID  

Kittinger Bookcase
Kittinger Bookcase  
George,

I inherited a Kittinger bookcase from my father. My father had the bookcase in his office when working for the Western Electric Company (AT&T) at the Hawthorne Works in Cicero, Illinois. I think he had it since the mid 1960's. I do not know if there were any other Kittinger pieces with it. I do not know if he was the first owner.

The bookcase appears to be in good shape. No dents/dings. I imagine it has darkened a bit with age. The top half is connected to the bottom half with metal brackets on the back. I have the key for the drawer and door.

I have not found any pictures of similar Kittinger style furniture on the internet.

Is this Kittinger bookcase of significant value? Should it be refinished? I have read that correctly refinishing mahogany is a long process. Would refinishing increase or decrease its value?

Thank you for your input.

Keith and Julia

Answer
Hi Keith and Julia,

What I can tell you is that your Kittinger bookcase was made in the 1960's
as evidenced by the gold metal label on the inside drawer. The number on the label
also tells me that the finish is Dark Heirloom Open Pore finish taken from the last three
digits, DHO. If anything the finish has lightened and not darkened which you indicate.
An easy way to tell what the original finish looked like is to pull open the drawer
and look at the color on the top edge of the drawer.

As far as value or price for this piece I can tell you that office style furniture
is not a big seller. I feel a range of $350. to $400. is appropriate. Obviously you
do not want to get involved trying to refinish the piece since Kittinger furniture
is very difficult and costly to restore. A through cleaning would suffice.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III