Antique Furniture/Oriental sideboard

I have what I think is an older Chinese sideboard..I'm not really sure if it is original or a doesn't matter to me either way... The wood on the front is cracking in a couple of places so I was wondering if I should wax the front of the sideboard and would it hurt the painting on the front...When I bought the shelves were lined with very old Oriental newspaper..Many thanks..

My area is in American antiques.  To determine age on these type items i have to look in person and even then, the asian trade is better than the european trade at faking age.  age doesnt always matter, it is a great looking piece and the back, whether or not it has 'enhanced aging' is of no matter, it looks good.

However, as to the wax.   What we would do is try the wax, Briwax without toluene, or johnsons paste wax on a small area to see if it affected the paint.  It probably wont but always check first.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.