Antique Furniture/Oriental sideboard

Question
Chinese
Chinese  

Chinese
Chinese  
I have what I think is an older Chinese sideboard..I'm not really sure if it is original or a reproduction...it doesn't matter to me either way... The wood on the front is cracking in a couple of places so I was wondering if I should wax the front of the sideboard and would it hurt the painting on the front...When I bought the shelves were lined with very old Oriental newspaper..Many thanks..

Answer
Jay,
My area is in American antiques.  To determine age on these type items i have to look in person and even then, the asian trade is better than the european trade at faking age.  age doesnt always matter, it is a great looking piece and the back, whether or not it has 'enhanced aging' is of no matter, it looks good.

However, as to the wax.   What we would do is try the wax, Briwax without toluene, or johnsons paste wax on a small area to see if it affected the paint.  It probably wont but always check first.

thanks

Antique Furniture

robert klein