Antique Furniture/Rocking chair

Entire chair
Entire chair  

We think this rocker is about 70 to 100 years old.  It is 38in tall and 31 in wide ( seat).  We would like to know how old, kind of wood, manufacturer, should we keep the springs in the seat?
Thank you

Probably manufactured at Capital City Chair Company around 1915-1920.  Wood is birch and figured birch stained from the factory with a water based or aniline dye to resemble mahogany.

as to springs.  to test them take one coil, put on a flat surface, slowly compress with your hand, about one third down you should feel resistance, if not replace them.  an upholstery person will want to eliminate the springs and do foam.  springs are better, done right on webbing and tied 8 way by any older upholsterer that cares about how things should be.

looking at the springs again , toss them, there are not enough for good support and they may have been replacements anyhow.

when restoring, go back with a mahogany stain, more of a brown mahognay looks best, not red.  do very limited sanding after stripping with lacquer thinner think of it as wiping with sandpaper, 180/220 grit at the most.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.