Antique Furniture/Secretary desk

Desk front view closed
Desk front view closed  
Desk open
Desk open  
QUESTION: Hello. Wondering if you can offer more information about this piece. The legs make me think of empire pieces but I'm just not sure. I have the key that opens the desk and the glass door below.  Also, I'm of course curious about a value range. I cannot find any labels. There is a stamped 357 on the back.

ANSWER: please use the followup function and post picture of the rear, thanks

what is on the tag?

QUESTION: I can't find any tag or markings. Just the 357 on the back. There's a handwritten 356 on the drawer and again inside the hole where the drawer goes.

It of the Empire style due to the scrolls.  There are periods called, probably named by auctioneers and called second and third period Empire, Empire revival, and Empire oak. however I personally believe these could be somewhat misleading.

I would prefer to say That it is from around 1890-1920 in the Empire style.

This came about around he same time as the mission, Arts and Crafts, and Craftsman styles.

I have seen and admires many desks in oak, quartersawn oak, in this style but this is the first I have seen with a bookcase of this type under the desk.
It is quarter sawn oak veneer, made around 1900, in the Empire style, with scroll shaped plinths flanking the bookcase section and forming the front feet.

If the back were reattached properly and the piece waxed with either Johnsons floor paste wax or a brown colored Briwax it would be priced in a shop at 750.  Do not consider stripping and finishing as this is the original finish.

thanks, hope this is what you needed.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.