Antique Furniture/Unidentified Antique Hospital Recliner

Question
Mystery chair side view 1
Mystery chair side vie  

Mystery sanitarium chair
Mystery sanitarium cha  
I recently purchased this chair from a thrift store for $50. At first I thought it was a variation of a Morris chair, but it seems the mechanism is different. There is a small plate at the rear base of the chair that identifies it as property of the SC State Sanatorium. It has tiny wooden caster wheels, which were removed and bagged for transportation. There is a wooden foot plate, much like one from a barbers' chair. The mechanism of the chair is spring assisted. I can't find any manufacturers' marks or labels. The upholstery is beginning to dry rot. I apologize for the quality of the photos; the chair was in a van when I took them. The first part of my question is: Who made this chair, and what would be the proper term for this type of chair? Then of course, the ubiquitous: What is it worth? Thank you for your time and assistance.

Answer
these were called invalid chairs, supposed to have wheels on them.

as far as who made it, without a label no one will ever know unless you find the exact match with a manufacturers label.  hundreds of companies made these around 1900 when this was made.

worth is related to originality and condition.  if in good condition (except upholstery) then around 350$ in as store.

thanks, hope this helps

Antique Furniture

robert klein