Antique Furniture/Antique cane chair

Question
cane chair
cane chair  

detail
detail  
Hello,

I am currently a graduate student in a historic preservation program working on a project involving this antique cane chair that my grandmother owns. She has a set of four. I have found similar chairs to this that claim to be in the Eastlake style, but these appear to be a bit more eclectic to me. I am wondering what other styles you think this chair could be and also the wood type. I was also wondering if you could identify the kind of tooth like carving that appears along the top of the back of the chair. Any information you can lend would prove helpful for my project.

Thank you!

Answer
I commend you on your choice of study!!

Please send to my email pictures as attachments to one email;
close view of wood grain on flat surfaces.
pic of under the seat.

These were done in several woods around 1880-1900.  maple, cherry, birch, beech, tulip poplar.  Generally we think of victorian in walnut and rosewood but that is not always the case.

many manufacturers made chair similar in style with various nuances but still in the same basic form.

awaiting pictures

thanks

Antique Furniture

robert klein