Antique Furniture/Bertaud Chair

Chair Front
Chair Front  

Design on front leg
Design on front leg  
Under the seat of this chair is 'BERTAUD' stamped on the wood.  Do you know anything about this company?  Found this chair at an estate sale near New Orleans.  
Can you identify the wood?  
The top decoration is slotted to chair. Lots of veneer on trim. Hand tied springs in seat. No visible screws holding the wood together.  
Can you put an age on this chair? When was it made?
Thank you for your time and help.

The name is most likely a previous owner as the chair is from around 1860.  It was common practice to have an owners stamp their name in furniture.

Your picture is not close enough to see any grain detail in the wood so I cannot be certain of the species.  These were usually of walnut or rosewood, it does not look like rosewood.  If I had to say from the photo I would have to pick walnut.  However, you can use the followup function and post two more pictures if you like.  clear and close.

It is possible that when this was upholstered last time that part of the wood frame was covered to keep with modern styling.  Search on victorian balloon back chairs and you will see what I am referring to.

you mentioned lots of veneer on the 'trim'.  it is not uncommon for the seat rails to be veneered.

hope this helps

The only screws you would see would be inside the seat holding, along with glue, the glue blocks.  Any other screws would have been an attempt at repair.  

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.