Antique Furniture/Murphy Chair Company

paper label
paper label  
Murphy Chairs
Murphy Chairs  
QUESTION: Recently obtained these 4 chairs that have a paper label "Murphy Detroit, Mich.  No. 5158" on the bottom.  Can you date these?  Did they originate painted black? The fruit design is a stencil, not painted. Any idea of their worth?  Thank you for your help!

ANSWER: use follow up function and post clear photo of underneath bottom of the chair.

QUESTION: I have been told that an Aunt painted the chairs and added the stencil herself.  But I found most common Murphy Co. woods were mahogany, pecan, walnut and oak.  I can't type wood (they're dirty too) and am still curious about age.  Thanks again for any help.

wood looks like tulip poplar under the seat. often these were mixed woods.  sweet gum, maple, tulip poplar, birch and beech. often chairs like this from the 1910-1920s were painted at the factory.  That they moved to owensburg KY in the early 30s does not mean that they stopped using the old detroit labels.  back then things were not wasted.

to tell you if they were originally painted at the factory i would have to see and feel the paint job.  if it looks like a family member idd it they that is probably true but if it looks like a factory job you will be able to tell and feel.

in a store they would retail at 45-60 each.

hope this helps

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.