Antique Furniture/Antique Chair information

Antique Chair front
Antique Chair front  
Antique Chair back
Antique Chair back  
QUESTION: Hello, I am looking for information on an antique cane bottom desk chair that I purchased yesterday.  I am looking for the year, the name, or other identifying information and the current value

ANSWER: use the followup function and post pictures of the mechanism and neath the chair

Chair mechanism
Chair mechanism  

Chair bottom
Chair bottom  
QUESTION: As requested.  This image hopefully shows you what you are looking for.  There is no writing of any kind

Unfortunately without a label there is no way anyone can tell you the manufacturer.  There were around 5000 in operation at the time this was made around 1890-1900.  The mechanism under the seat gives no clue as this was used by many different manufacturers.  sometimes you will find some casting marks on the metal but that would only pertain to the metal mechanism.  A patent date is sometimes on the mechanisms as well although hard to find.

In the wonderful condition this is in, if everything is tight and works as it should it would sell in a good shop at 400-450 easily.

the wood is oak.  The arms probably hickory but could be oak as well.  they were made of one piece of wood steam bent to the shape you see.  The metal rod is original to the chair.

It is a nice one and condition is superb.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.