Antique Furniture/Good Find??

Question
Both Chairs
Both Chairs  

Bottom of Chair
Bottom of Chair  
was very happy to find someone with your expertise who might be able tell me the value of these chairs that I found.

I live in a small town in Urbana, Ohio that was founded in 1809.  Our community had a Spring Cleaning day this week where folks could put furntiture, appliances, mattresses, etc. on the curb and they would be collected for disposal.

As I drove down Boyce Street which is occupied by built circa 1900, I saw these two chairs out for collection.  I stopped to look at them and noticed the quality cushion covers and that the screws were flathead screws.  This indicated to me that they were semi-old and since they were sturdy with in-tact cushion covers, I loaded them up and brought them home.

I google searched the company name and saw where you had commented on similar chairs in the past, and so I propose my questions...

When were these chairs made, what does the AA grade signify, what is their value, what does the 14108 number at the top mean and should I make any restoration attempts besides wiping them down...like using carpet cleaner on the cushions or attempting to remove what appears to be globs of paint on one of them.

I would like to sell them, not keep them.

I've attached two pictures as you requested and have more if you would like them.  I've enhanced the picture of the tag from the bottom of one of the chairs to make it more readable.

Both of the tags have the same markings.

For your reference, what I read the tags I see....

***"14108" (a production number?) stamped at the top
***"2192 MAHOG" following "No."
***Nothing printed next to the "Cover No." but in person it does appear that the paper has a raised area that seems to make a number 8, but not sure.
***"AA" next to "Grade" (the AA is more easily apparent on the other chair)

note..in the picture one of the chairs is in shadow and the other is in sun which is why they appear to have different amount of wear. The colors on both are vibrant.

Thank you very much....hope I didn't bore you with too many details.

Answer
Hi Joe,

I am not able to find any information on your 2 chairs which are most likely for a larger
dining room set.

They are modest Duncan Phyfe style chairs and factory made to a price. Not exactly what today's buyers are looking for. Most likely they were made around 1930 and the value would be around
$25. to $30. each.

For selling them, a good cleaning would be worth your while since the price of admission
was right.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III