Antique Furniture/Cutler & Co desk restoration

Cutler & Co logo
Cutler & Co logo  
Hi Robert
I'm attempting a restoration of a 5' Cutler and Co roll top desk.
Just in regards to the logo, do you have any idea how this would've been applied? It doesn't look to be a decal but I am wondering the best way to restore it. Could it have been applied by hand?
If I restore over it I'm afraid of losing value in the desk.
Warmest regards

these labels are done like old piano ones.  You have a decal on paper.  paper placed on the wood, lettering will be against the wood.  then you rub on the paper and it transfers the gold lettering to the wood.  paper is removed and finish applied over the transferred lettering.

leave the decal alone.  when you spray your lacquer on the desk, spray over the decal.  if you use polyurinate then do not coat over the decal.  under no circumstances should you use a brush to apply any coating over the lettering.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.