Antique Furniture/Antique Chair Braces

Chair Braces
Chair Braces  

Picture of the whole chair
Picture of the whole c  
I have been refinishing antiques as a hobby for almost 5 years and have had a number of chair projects. But I have never seen chair braces like the ones in the photos.

Any information you can provide on this type of brace would be appreciated. Does it indicate the chairs are from Europe?

Thank you.

Hi Gary,

I have never seen this type of joinery before but looking at the chair it
is obvious that they are poor quality mass produced pieces, not antique.
Very little handwork involved to be produced to a price. Sad!  Value $10. to $20.

Best wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.