Antique Furniture/When was this made

Top of dresser
Top of dresser  
Inside drawer
Inside drawer  
QUESTION: I bought it painted, I can see that the wood is in good condition. I've included some pictures of the drawers .. Might be able to help with dating it? I think. I've no idea what the style is called and have tried looking it up, with dead ends. Please help. Thanks!!

ANSWER: Hi Susie,

Your painted adaptation chest was most likely made in the 1920's.
The chest is a rather poor interpretation in the Sheraton style
coupled with the paint gives it very little value. Perhaps a
range of $30. to $50.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III

QUESTION: Thank you I'd like to know what makes it a poor interpretation. I know little about antiques and vintage.  Thank you for helping clarify and help with future buys.

In making the chest the manufacturer cut corners by doing mostly machine work
with very little hand work for the details and carving which adds to its cost.

I have been in the business for over 40 years and I am still learning and educating
my eyes to the finer points of fine furniture making. It is not something you can
put in a couple of sentences.

BTW  An antique is a piece that is 100 years old.

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.