Antique Furniture/old roll top desk brass drawer pull

Question
IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0774.JPG  
QUESTION: Hi Bob,

I have an A.H. Andrews roll top desk in very rough shape that I'm working on.  unfortunately a couple of the original brass drawer pulls are missing.  I'm hoping to find a couple original replacements and was wondering if you have any advice as to where I might look to find replacements.  here is a pic of one of the drawer pulls.  it is 4" in length.  Any help would be much appreciated.  thanks.

dick

ANSWER: You will have to have it made.  Either have it cast of silicone bronze or have it machined from brass stock.

would you mind using the followup function and posting a picture of the desk, thanks

desk pic 2
desk pic 2  
desk pic 1
desk pic 1  
QUESTION: Hi Bob,

thanks for the answer, will track down someone to fabricate the missing pulls.  

and here are a couple pics of the desk.  it's walnut and as I said in pretty rough shape.

dick

ANSWER: That is a great desk, raised panels and in walnut.  condition of the tambour?  Does the interior have drawers in all the cubbyholes?

You do know that hot hide glue was used when this was made?  The tambour slats would have been glued to a canvas with the same glue or there would have been three brass or steel wires through all the tambour slats to hold them  in curtain form.  Drawer locking mechanism intact?

pic 3
pic 3  

pic 4
pic 4  
QUESTION: Hi Bob,

the tambours are in very good shape and are glued to canvas and with two leather strips.  the cubbyhole inset has two long narrow drawers with the smaller versions of the brass pulls and the rest of the cubby holes are in good shape with no additional drawers.  the drawer locking mechanism is intact and functioning on both sides.  

the desk surface and the surface of the two pull out writing surfaces appear to be covered with a felt or leather material (seems softer than leather) or something similar.  Do you have any suggestions what this material might typically have been or where I might get something as a replacement material.  thanks again for you input and your great advice.  much appreciated.  

couple more pics attached.

dick

Answer
There was actually fake leather being used from the late 1800s. I have seen the advertisements for it from different companies. Very much like today's  leatherette vinyl product.

You can buy leather desktop material either horsehide, cowhide, or goat. Additionally if you know somebody in the business of recovering regulation pool tables, some are covered with a brand of cloth named Simonis. You could get a Used piece that doesn't have holes an wash it properly and use that100% worsted wool.  Makes a great cover although not used as much on a large tops. You could probably go with a leather or vinyl. Or and then be nice with walnut sense walnut and is considered to be a higher-priced piece of furniture. You can purchase a desk top leather of the correct specifications with what they called gold andblind and bossing around the edges look at it online. Cancel restoration in the United Kingdom thanks great leather tops.

Antique Furniture

robert klein