Antique Furniture/Old table and hardware

QUESTION: I recently purchased this table. I love empire pieces and I was drawn to it probably because of the legs. It has been painted it appears one time. As I started sanding it I went to remove the drawer knobs. At first I was puzzled because there were no screws on the back of the drawer. I've not seen hardware like this before and I am wondering about the possible age of this piece. And any other info you might know.

ANSWER: To date the piece i need to see a picture of the outside of the side of the drawer where the side meets the front.
also picture of the outside of the bottom of the drawer taken with the drawer upside down and the shot taken from the rear of the drawer showing the bottom ond back in the same shot.

use the followup function so the thread messages will remain intact.

Drawer rear view
Drawer rear view  
QUESTION: Thank you

This was rural built.  The drawer construction with the captured bottom is uncommon for urban manufacturing as is the butt joint in the drawer sides.

are you sanding the paint off or stripping it off chemically?

the threads in the drawer pull are not uncommon in the 1840-70s.  more interesting is the inlaid star in the pull.  Wood looks like it could be mahogany or walnut in the pull but it is hard to tell as it is on a curve and so little shown.

the style and period fall in the empire style and i would believe this to be from around 1850.  I am certain that at one time there was a mirror that hund on the wall over this table.

hope this is what you needed.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.