Antique Furniture/Carpet Rocker

Question
Carpet Spring Rocker
Carpet Spring Rocker  

Carpet Spring Rocker Back
Carpet Spring Rocker B  
I was in a tourist town on the St. Lawrence and saw this rocker on sale for $700 in a little shop and the condition was not so great.  I am assuming that the price was inflated because it was in a tourist area.  By some fluke, a couple days after I saw it, I stumbled upon a chair of the same style sitting in front of a little used everything shop in a small town.  The guy let me have the chair for $40.  I am debating keeping it or selling it for a reasonable and realistic price.  Is it worth anything as is? It is missing the dowels that came down the sides and the smaller spindles at the bottom. Do you know where I can find refurnishing for it. Does anyone work on these things to restore them?  The original carpet is something I don't think I would like to put my dainty behind down upon, but maybe I should keep that all original.  My main concern would be where could I find the parts for the bottom.  The seat, well worn as it is is still in fine condition underneath with webbing and white and blue ticking.  Can you give me a little more information on this chair. Sorry to bombard you with so many questions. Sometimes a girl sees a bargain and goes for it only to look at it when one gets home and wonder, why did I buy that thing. Thanks so much.

Answer
Hi Renee,

The first  question you should be asking yourself is why the person sold you the
chair at such a low price. Perhaps they realized the costs to do the repairs
employing a competent cabinetmaker and upholsterer and the potential value once
repaired.

Certainly it would not be worth the $700. price of the last chair you saw. These rockers
are quite plentiful and can be had for $200. to $300. in fine condition.

I find that most buyers today are not doing their do-diligence and wind up spending
more money than an items worth. If you plan on buying antiques in the future I
strongly recommend that you first invest in some reference books and in the long
run you will become a better shopper.

Best wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III