Antique Furniture/Dining set

Full table & china cab
Full table & china cab  

My Aunt left me her Dining table & chairs, Buffett and china cabinet (i think its a set) It is made of a red wood (cherry or mohogany?)  we have been talking about selling, painting or refinishing it- it seems pretty old  and handmade entirely of wood with two extension leafs and an old lever holding to together underneath.  I have searched the internet for something like it with no success. Their are no marking or maker tags that i can see.The chairs seem pretty common chippendales. (Original seat fabric under the green floral fabric) Can you help me find out the crafter or type of table/set or a time period made and estimated price point? If I painted it would it lose value?

Hi Trina,
While I can not tell you the maker of your dining set, I can tell you
it was made from mahogany. The dining table and sideboard are in
the Hepplewhite style and the china cabinet and chairs are in the
Chippendale style.  \

I feel that the pieces were made in the late 1930's to early 1940's.
As for value, the china cabinet would be $175. to $200. Sideboard
at $275. to $325. Dining table $250. to $275. and the chairs would
be $35. to $50. each.

Last but not least, do not think of painting these pieces unless
you wish to take away the value, drastically.

Best wishes,

George E. Harrison III

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III

I am able to answer most questions pertaining to the authenticity,collectability and values of high-end reproduction furniture. As an example, quality furniture produced by leading manufacturers such as Baker, Kittinger, Kindel, Saybolt-Cleland furniture companies. I must have at least one photo for advice. PLEASE READ: No questions will be answered without a photo. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise.

For the past 40 years I have been dealing in the appraisal, buying and selling of fine, pre-owned antique and reproduction furniture. Over the years we have served leading museums, governmental institutions, Fortune 500 companies as well as private collectors. View our website at for a sampling of our expertise. Also, be sure to read our testimonial page.

Maine Antiques Digest

Philadelphia College of Art Study for cabinetmaking.

My honors are my ability to satisfy the highest caliber of my client base, both nationally and internationally. Refer to:

You may refer to my website, for comments posted by our prestigious client base.