Antique Furniture/Interesting Chair

Question
Primary Chair
Primary Chair  

Chair 2
Chair 2  
Hello Mr. Harrison!
I bought this chair at a flea market in San Diego for $40... I believe the seller got it at an estate sale.  I don't typically buy furniture, but this chair was just too beautiful to pass up.
 I call it my 'Oscar Wilde' chair, because the supports under the arms resemble an 'O-W', and it simply looks like an appropriate chair to exercise prose!
  I honestly don't know much about furniture, but I've been very curious about this chair over the 2 years I've owned it.  I have no idea if it's a genuinely old chair, or possibly a reproduction.  I'm also curious to the style origin as well, be it European or American.  It would seem right at home in a Hobbit hole.  
 Of course I'm curious as to value... It may be a chair better suited to be in the home of a collector than me.  As you can see in the photos (I was limited to sending 2 photos), it's currently residing in my studio, and not properly displayed for a chair as special as this one seems to be!
 I very much appreciate your time and knowledge, and have a wonderful day!
Cheers,
William Wall

Answer
Hi William,

From what I can see of your chair it appears to have been made outside of the United States.
What I can see of the construction details indicates that the chair was factory made
rather than bench made. An interesting detail are the Elizabethan-William and Mary style
front arm supports.

I would date the chair to the latter part of the 19th century to very  early 20th century.
There is no information as to who made the chair due to its quirky form. The chair would
most certainly show better with a more properly formed cushion and a fine period fabric.

As for a value, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I feel the value of the chair
should be between $275, to $325.

Best Wishes,

George E. Harrison III
www.americanainteriors.com/  

Antique Furniture

George E. Harrison III