Antique Furniture/Queen Anne Buffet

Question
buffet
buffet  

buffet logo
buffet logo  
I recently purchased this Queen Anne Buffet, I was able to find a label inside the top left drawer. It says W.A. Hathaway Company 51 West 45th St New York City. It is in great shape (no chipping, no major damage, some scratches on top and some minor wear on the feet). I am hoping what I paid for it was a good deal.

Answer
This could be called queen anne or chippendale style.  the fact that most folks think that a claw foot on a cabriole leg makes it chippendale is incorect.

the fan carving adn drawer pulls would indicate this to be a reproduction of a chippendale piece.

Hathaways was a store.  they did not manufacture but they did carry high quality and high style.  I recently sold a desk similar to your piece made in the 1920-30 as I believe yours is.  The difference being that the desk did not have the center bottom drawer, shorter legs, and was larger.  I sold it at 1500$.

here is a Hathaway advertisement showing a chest of drawers--check and ocmpare to your style.
http://fultonhistory.com/Newspaper%2018/New%20York%20NY%20Sun/New%20York%20NY%20

hope this helps

thanks

Antique Furniture

robert klein