Antique Furniture/Duncan Phyfe Marking?

Question
Marking
Marking  

Table
Table  
I inherited a small "game" table from my grandmother. I was told growing up it was an original Duncan Phyfe table. The story about the table is that her father did some wall paper hanging in NY for some decedents of the Phyfe family and they gave him this table. I could never really verify that other than her story. The table has a marking stamped on the bottom in almost stencil like lettering (white) that says "3274 MAHY". Can you tell me what that might mean? No where on this table that I can find does it say Duncan Phyfe though. How do you know if it's an original? Does that marking mean anything?

Answer
As family stories go they are the least accurate the majority of the time.

This is a manufactured table from the 1930-40s.  The numbers on the bottom could be inventory, catalog, style, finish, or stain numbers that are proprietary to the manufacturer.  The mahy means mahogany.  that could be color and/or could be the veneers used on the tops.  I can see that the top of the top is ribbon stripe mahogany veneer.

you should get some toluene free Briwax in the antique mahogany color and go over the table thouroughly with the wax.  Will make a huge difference.

It was nice of her to leave this to you.

Hope this is what you needed.

thanks.

Antique Furniture

robert klein