Antique Furniture/Curious about this rocking chair.

Rocking chair.
Rocking chair.  

Rocking chair
Rocking chair  
Hello. I found this rocking chair that my neighbour wanted to throw out. I would like to reupholster it and sell it. Unless it's better to leave it in original condition. I am curious as to what period this piece was made. Also what type of wood it might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced.

probably birch and/or figured birch, slat probably mahogany veneer.

it isnt in original condition now as someone over the years has recoated although it was very dark originally.  if you are not a skilled restorer do not do anything.  recover the seat and sell for 200-250.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.