Antique Furniture/Sheboygan Crocker Rocking Chair

Adjustment Dial
Adjustment Dial  
Hello, My grandfather has an old swivel rocking that he tells me was his grandmothers chair and would like me to have it.  It is not in great shape and the only identifying marks I can find on it is the cast iron adjustment dial under the seat that says "Sheboygan Crocker Chair Co."  It appears to have a stamped design on the upper front of the back with 2 metal emblems on the sides of the stamped design.  the seat appears to have been like leather but is needing repair.  I am looking for any information as to the age, wood type, seat material if I were to repair it and the best way to properly restore this chair?  Can send a couple more pics if needed.  Thanks!

This is actually a very nice desk chair.

Bentwood arms
Pressed wood back (that is how the design is done, pressed in)
top post medallions
seat was originally radio weave cane--the fiber seat was added later to cover torn cane.
wood most likely oak

first thing to do is remove the fiber seat part, it does not belong.
next, use dark brown toluene free Briwax and was every surface and part of the chair and mechanism.  This should take over two hours.

Then call me at my shop and we will talk.

Antique Furniture

robert klein

Regarding American antique, vintage, and collectible furniture I can help with wood identification, styles, age, periods, historical coatings, materials, techniques, repair, restoration, refinishing. Please read instructions for posting.

I have been in the antiques furniture and restoration business and in the sales of American antique furniture for 40+ years and have continued my education in the trade attending workshops and seminars through several organizations.

Professional Refinishers Groop, Int., AIC, Antiques Dealers Association

BA Florida State University BA University of West Florida 1971

They deserve privacy, sorry.