Antique Musical Instruments/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Trombone3/5/2017Kenton Scott
  Q: This silver trombone on the bell has "The Jenkins: Special: Made in the U.S.A.: Fully Warranted." ...
  A: JW Jenkins Co, was located in Kansas City Mo, and was founded in 1878. The company went bankrupt in ...
Bass clarinet2/12/2017ModernFlute
  Q: I purchased a bass clarinet at an estate sale last week and would like to get some information. I ...
  A: We've reviewed the photos and tried a quick google search (no use). Based on the photos and ...
Any information on this old Buffet wooden flute?2/3/2017ModernFlute
  Q: First of all, thank you for taking the time to reply my question, i really appreciate it! I bought ...
  A: Your flute is an interesting antique simple system, appears to originally have been an 11-key flute ...
Contintental Colonial Brass Sousaphone1/11/2017Kenton Scott
  Q: Could you tell me, how good is my Sousaphone compared to others ? I found mine in my Grand fathers ...
  A: Continental was a brand established by CG Conn in 1923, and had stores in Chicago and New York. ...
A.J. Kalishens Imperial Tuba1/1/2017Kenton Scott
  Q: I was just given a AJ Kalishens Imperial Eb Tuba. Three piston valves. Would love to know what you ...
  A: I believe that it is M J. (Mark) rather than A.J. Mark Kalashen was a Dealer in New York from ...
Old Silver Clarinet12/7/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I own a silver clarinet called the Silver King made by The H.N. White Company. I've owned it for ...
  A: Clarinets are considered woodwinds, even when they are made with metal. Metal clarinets were a ...
A K Huttl mellophone11/28/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: My mellophone is marked A K Huttl Graslitz on the bell. Where the mouthpiece inserts into the ...
  A: Huttl started his company in 1877. Bohemia represents the period of 1890-1916. In 1913 the company ...
vintage trombone9/5/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: My pastor has a vintage(playable) A K Huttl Graslitz trombone. Has dates 1878 and 1880. Can you ...
  A: Anton Konrad Huttl started his company in 1877. The company advertised in 1913 that they had the ...
antique trombone9/3/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I have a Rudall Carte & CoLtd "Starline" trombone with LP 254657 imprinted just under the first ...
  A: Good questions. The company was independent until 1944 when they were bought out by Boosey and ...
Old trumpet8/17/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I have a Rene Duval-Paris trumpet from my high school days in the late 1940's . It's finish has ...
  A: If it has been polished before, and it looked good then, I am going to assume that it is raw brass - ...
Unbranded Piccolo8/7/2016ModernFlute
  Q: I recently acquired a piccolo from a friend that is unbranded. I believe I have examined every inch ...
  A: **Update: We were finally able to put a fingering chart on our website for 6-key instruments! Feel ...
osborn mandolin number 313098/1/2016ModernFlute
  Q: this mandolin was given to my grandmother sometime in the late fortys for rent its been in a case ...
  A: Unfortunately we are not well-versed on string instruments. We did, however, check eBay briefly and ...
Flute7/29/2016ModernFlute
  Q: I have a Selmer flute, open hole. I played it in junior high and didn't continue after 8th grade so ...
  A: Can you send us some photos via email at info@modernflute.com or by uploading them through ...
Beaufort American Trumpet USA7/12/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I have come across a Beaufort American Chicago Trumpet (I think its a trumpet). I found a serial ...
  A: Before Holton started making its own line of student level instruments, the Collegiate starting in ...
Rene Duval French Horn6/27/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I have a Rene Duval double French Horn in brass, not polished, very good shape, with mechanical ...
  A: From what I have seen from Duval, it appears to be a tradename for some dealer. At least some of ...
ID year of this trombone, please6/9/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I inherited a "Wurlitzer Professional U.S.A." (stamped on the horn) 3-valve silver trombone, with ...
  A: From your description, it sounds like it is a 32G model from 1921. I would be interested in ...
Supertone Bandmaster Trumpet5/31/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I recently purchased from an old gentleman a Supertone Bandmaster Trumpet. I was wanting some ...
  A: Supertone and Bandmaster were tradenames used by the Sears Robuck Company. Sears never made their ...
Brua Keefer 1917 Cornet5/22/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: Kenton - I grew up playing trumpet and my stepfather passed his father's antique cornet on to me. ...
  A: Keefer first managed and then 1909 bought the Henry Distin company. He was trained as an attorney ...
Saxophone, Alto5/21/2016ModernFlute
  Q: What can you tell me about the value of this instrument? Brass alto saxophone produced by the ...
  A: Your saxophone is a student model alto saxophone in Eb made around the 1960s. It is gold lacquered ...
Liberty horn5/15/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I have tried to research this instrument and cannot find any details on it. It says "liberty c.k.c. ...
  A: Let's try this again, I answered the question, but it didn't seem to save. So, starting over. Your ...
An Old Trombone5/8/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: My teacher have an old Conn trombone in a playable condition with the original case and mouthpiece, ...
  A: I believe that is a 1923 18H Tait Model. It should have inslide tuning and a .300 bore. The 18H ...
what kind of horn5/6/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I just got this horn because it seems different. Could you just tell me exactly what it is? ...
  A: It is tough to tell from a picture. It is either an alto horn or a tenor horn. They look basically ...
old trombone3/25/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: Hallo, resently I bought in Stockholm a trombone looking very german,but engraved on the bell 'Lyon ...
  A: Most of the Lyon and Healy product line was imported. However, they did make a limited amount of ...
Buescher Soprano Sax3/10/2016ModernFlute
  Q: I am not sure this is part of your overall interest but I have a Buescher Soprano Sax that was mfg'd ...
  A: Can you tell me if there are any markings on your saxophone aside from the serial number such as any ...
piccolo information3/1/2016ModernFlute
  Q: I have tried to search the internet for information about a piccolo my father gave me 40 years ago ...
  A: Welcome to allexperts.com! Thank you for choosing us as your 'expert'! Baxter Northrup was an ...
Pistons for a Besson tuba 2-202/13/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I have a Besson tuba 2-20 (serial #458292,years 40's/50's) which the first piston has been seriously ...
  A: Well, there are about three approaches. First, you say that it is seriously damaged. Yet, it is ...
Varsity USA trunoet2/4/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I was your response regarding a previous Varsity trumpet. I picked up very distressed one at an ...
  A: The Varsity was a student line sold by Holton before they started making their own Collegiate line ...
old buffet clarinet1/17/2016ModernFlute
  Q: Can you tell me anything about an old buffet clarinet, serial number M219. It has a curved octave ...
  A: From what you're saying about your clarinet it sounds like a possible full Boehm system with the ...
Pedler open holed silver clarinet1/11/2016ModernFlute
  Q: I have an open holed Pedler clarinet. I'm trying to determine if it is silver plated or sterling ...
  A: Only two showed up in our end however that was sufficient to determine that your clarinet is silver ...
age and worth of buescher flute1/8/2016ModernFlute
  Q: I have a buescher flute with a wooden mouth piece and a metal body. It is stamped #279, I looked on ...
  A: We actually sold one of these flutes in 2014! Off the top of our heads we recall those flutes being ...
Couesnon Instrument1/3/2016Kenton Scott
  Q: I have a Couesnon instrument (bugle? trumpet?) and have done some internet research on the company ...
  A: About all that can be determined is that it is a bugle. It appears to be a low bugle. Soprano ...
Buffet Crampon Clarinet12/1/2015ModernFlute
  Q: I have come across a clarinet. It's an Evette Buffet Crampon Master Body. Serial number is D29004. ...
  A: so sorry for the delay in our response! The R-13 model is the higher end model and often considered ...
identify age of euphonium11/2/2015Kenton Scott
  Q: i have a euphonium that is stamped thibouville paris, made especially for Sherman Clay and Company ...
  A: Sherman Clay was established in 1875, but around 1900 they formed a relationship with Lyon and Healy ...
York and sons single valve trombone10/7/2015Kenton Scott
  Q: I have a York and sons f attachment trombone with a valve for a trigger and USQMC stamped on the ...
  A: I've only seen one other. So, it's pretty rare. It had a slightly higher serial number, but it was ...
Supertone Bandmaster Trumpet10/5/2015Kenton Scott
  Q: I have a Supertone Bandmaster Trumpet made in Elhart , IN with the serial # 6577. Do you know the ...
  A: The Supertone was a line of instruments sold by Sear, Robuck & Co. In the 1930's they discontinued ...
Martin Band Instrument Co. trumpet9/15/2015Kenton Scott
  Q: I have a trumpet that was given to me as a child,I am now 65 years old, and want to learn to play ...
  A: That would be an old one. I'd estimate about 1918. Cases generally don't last as well as the ...
Keefer Cornet8/6/2015Kenton Scott
  Q: I inherited a Keefer cornet with number 9027 on the second valve. The bell is worked in brass and ...
  A: Keefer's predecessor, Distin, used both a valve serial and a bell serial. But, I believe that ...
York trumpet6/30/2015Kenton Scott
  Q: I have a York trumpet, serial #122135, that is a little different. At first I thought it was a left ...
  A: It is the York Airflow that was first produced shortly before the company was sold to the Carl ...
Horn ID6/23/2015Kenton Scott
  Q: I recently bought a horn of some kind, and I would like help identifying it. My father was a band ...
  A: It is sometimes hard to tell from a picture the size and dimensions of a horn. It does look like a ...
Holton Cornet Serial #193746/12/2015Kenton Scott
  Q: I have an original Holton Cornet that was purchased in Elkhorn Wisconsin as new around the 1930s. ...
  A: It sounds like you have this pretty much figured out already. School directors tend to expect to ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Top Expert on this page