Antique Musical Instruments/marimbula

DJ GIBS wrote at 2010-03-26 18:50:17
In Jamaica they were called a "Rhumba Box" and were used mostly in the 30s - 60s by Mento bands. Mento was a form of Jamaican folk music usually accompanied by a banjo and other accoustic instruments. Famous bands include Hubert Porter and His Jamaican Calypsonians, Harold Richardson & The Ticklers, Lord Fly, Lord Flea, Chin's Calypso Sextet...

I saw a very similar one reccently on eBay for $50. Ther owner said they brought it back from Jamaica in the '70s and I'm sure was purchased as a tourist item not an authentic musical instrument... although many of the "real" ones were hand made out of whatever materials were lying around that suited the job.  

Marge wrote at 2013-08-08 22:04:59
Is actually a Marimbula or Rhumba box use in the Caribbean, south America, originated in Cuba and Jamaica, is old but easy to make, is the kind of instrument that they used to use for Reggae originally, I got one for $125.00 most anyone will pay for, u got kind of lucky ( I was looking for one for a looong time

Enjoy  

Antique Musical Instruments

Jim Garber