Antique Musical Instruments/Clarinets

arw wrote at 2008-12-10 20:28:14
If the smaller clarinet is marked "C" then it is likely a clarinet in the key of C, not an Eb.  Very possible it is High Pitch as well, making it look extra-stubby for a C.  If it is a High Pitch Boehm C clarinet, it is likely very rare, but probably not extremely valuable to most people as it cannot be played along with modern instruments.  If it is a Low Pitch C, it is definitely worth something.  Traditionally shunned by orchestral players in the 20th century, the C clarinet has grown enormously in popularity recently, for use in folk music of different types, etc..  I don't know anything about the bass.

modernicus wrote at 2013-02-18 20:29:19
The "C" is just part of the makers name in this case, as it is not a completely uncommon maker that shoes up at auction from time to time, but I agree that it looks like a C clarinet or something shorter than a Bb. It is hard to tell without comparing to similar length clarinets of the same pitch standard.  To complicate things, in addition to  multiple pitch standards for old insruments as mentioned and there also is a clarinet on the key of D, which is in between a C and an Eb, but is quite rare.  Anyway, it is definitely worth something, especially if it is a low pitch clarinet in C or higher key, and given the extended keywork that looks to be present.

Antique Musical Instruments

I have been fixing and reselling flutes (both young and old!) for the last 5 years and occasionally some other woodwinds on occasion. I've been well acquainted with antique oboes, clarinets, and most flutes (including piccolos and fifes) and should be able to help with most questions.

A few years ago, I attended a technical college for a band instrument repair course. After I left the college, I began educating myself on antique flutes, clarinets and oboes and continue to try helping people with their instruments. I'm able to provide an estimate of the value of the instrument(s) as well as an estimate for restoration of the instrument(s). If you have a very important question and/or I haven't written back to your question within a few days, please feel free to give me a call at any time on my cell phone: 570-236-7054. Thanks!