Antique Musical Instruments/mandolin

sally ann findlay wrote at 2012-08-12 23:54:35
I have the same madolin from my uncle, you said it is not  worth a serious amount of money, could you tell me about how much it would be worth?  thank you for your answer.   sally-ann

Victoria wrote at 2014-07-19 10:31:53
Hi. These old Victoria mandolins aren't worth a whole lot, but boy they sure play nicely. I have one I wouldn't trade for anything. It has charm and character. Many were made in NY, some in Chicago. There was a time at the turn of the last century when every home had an instrument or two in their parlor and these were filling that niche. Some were wall hangings, some were played.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Jim Garber

PLEASE NOTE: I will not be able to answer any questions about antique keyboards, accordions, concertinas, woodwinds, brass and percussion.

I can answer most questions on fretted instruments, my main area of expertise is in vintage mandolins, guitars and ukuleles. I also know some things about old banjos as well.

I have decided to no longer evaluate instruments -- it is very difficult without the instrument in hand. For guitars and some other American fretted instruments, I recommend the Vintage Guitar Price guide. Also, be aware that most insurance companies want written appraisals so my valuation would not work anyway.

ALSO PLEASE NOTE: it is near-impossible to accurately appraise a violin or bow remotely. If you truly want to find out what you have, you will likely need to take it to a reputable local dealer. Many of these folks will at least give you a verbal assessment of what you have after an inspection in hand and, if it is indeed worth something, can write you up a formal appraisal, usually for a fee.

If you have any questions about zithers please check the following sites: or
Between the two of them, they have it all covered for any zither-like instrument.

I have been buying, selling, collecting and playing old and antique instruments for over 30 years. My recent specialty has been in European mandolins and classical and Italian mandolin music.

Classical Mandolin Society of America, active participant on the Mandolin Cafe

Guild of American Luthiers, Sing Out Magazine,

BA, Brandeis University