Antique Musical Instruments/Violin

Walter Hardin wrote at 2013-08-16 14:20:36
Mr. Stamps also (usually or always ??)placed his thumb or (finger?) print inside his violins along with his label (you may be able to see it inside if you look close enough)with a flashlight and dental mirror...putting his thumb or (finger?)onto a black ink-pad - then onto the violin's back. Respectfully, Walter Hardin

Antique Musical Instruments

Michael Avagliano

I can answer questions about the violin family of instruments, including violins, violas, cellos and their bows. I can give advice on repair issues, valuation, and authenticity, although exact appraisals are not possible through the Web. If you'd like an appraisal of a particular instrument, and you tell me your location, I can usually find someone in your area to take it to for help. I have no expertise in fretted instruments (guitars, mandolins, etc.).

17 years of experience working in violin shops across the US, including 4 years of owning my own firm in New Jersey and 3 years working as director of sales for one of the best-known firms in the world. Also, as a professional musician, I've known the violin all my life.

BM, Indiana University School of Music; AS, String Instrument Technology, Indiana University; MM, Rutgers University. I also have spent 24 years as a professional violinist and violist, and 17 years repairing, restoring, and dealing in instruments.