Antique Musical Instruments/J. GRAS BUGLE Made in France

Clara wrote at 2013-09-08 19:43:26
I have the same bugle but with the Ghent 1923 above the Lille 1910. Would like info about it.

Jackeroo wrote at 2014-10-22 05:59:01
Gras was a maker based in Lille, northern France. Joules Gras began the business in the second half of the 19th century, his son Charles took over the running of the business in the latter years of the 19th and on into the 20th century. Joule's instruments are quoted to have had a good reputation among musicians at least in the early years of production. I have a late 19th/early 20th century J. Gras flute, it is a very fine quality instrument and clearly made with quite considerable care and attention to detail.

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.