Antique Musical Instruments/high to low pitch change

this is not a Question It is a statement off fact.Did you not know that in England brass bands were still in low pitch until about the sixties when i was in the Eastbourne Silver Band our instruments were sent away to Boosey & Hawkes to be converted to low(orchestral) Pitch. Later on my father started his own brass band the Eastbourne Brass ensemble and bought second hand recondition converted to low pitch instruments all of which had the slide extension sleeves one the valve slides and main tuning slides to lower thier pitch.

Hope this enlightens you aad is helful for future enquiries.

Yours sencerly,

Trevor Peirce
ex Sally Army
still cornet,sop,tenor horn sax player.

High pitch was the norm in the 19th Century, however, there wasn't a standard pitch.  The pitch would tend to vary from one maker to another.

I know that Boosey and Hawkes continued to make high pitch instruments until 1964. Though, I thought it was only for SA bands that continued to use the high pitch horns.  

The transition in the US was much earlier.  Conn continued to make high pitch instrument into the late 1920s.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.