Antique Musical Instruments/high to low pitch change

Question
this is not a Question It is a statement off fact.Did you not know that in England brass bands were still in low pitch until about the sixties when i was in the Eastbourne Silver Band our instruments were sent away to Boosey & Hawkes to be converted to low(orchestral) Pitch. Later on my father started his own brass band the Eastbourne Brass ensemble and bought second hand recondition converted to low pitch instruments all of which had the slide extension sleeves one the valve slides and main tuning slides to lower thier pitch.

Hope this enlightens you aad is helful for future enquiries.

Yours sencerly,

Trevor Peirce
ex Sally Army
still cornet,sop,tenor horn sax player.

Answer
High pitch was the norm in the 19th Century, however, there wasn't a standard pitch.  The pitch would tend to vary from one maker to another.

I know that Boosey and Hawkes continued to make high pitch instruments until 1964. Though, I thought it was only for SA bands that continued to use the high pitch horns.  

The transition in the US was much earlier.  Conn continued to make high pitch instrument into the late 1920s.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott