Antique Musical Instruments/Antique Alto Horn

Question
Eb Alto Horn Front
Eb Alto Horn Front  
Eb Alto Horn Back
Eb Alto Horn Back  
QUESTION: Kenton,

Several years ago, I purchased an old Eb Alto Horn for a local antique store. Since then I have been trying to identify the manufacture and model since there are no markings other than the numbers for the valves: 1,2,3 and on the second valve a "B" and blow that 2867. It is 20 inches long with an 8 inch bell. The bore on the 2nd valve is 4.91-4.92 or 12.50 metric. It looks like the Wurlitzer Lyric 520 or maybe a C Bruno & Son Perfection 89588 based on viewing the horns at Horn-u-copia. The Conn loyalist thinks it could be a Pan American or Cavalier. Have you a clue?
I have read a lot of your comments and believe you might be able to help this "quest."

ANSWER: Kevin,

I don't know that I can tell you who made it, but I don't think it is a Pan American or Cavalier.  The valve tubing between the valves appears to go straight across between the valves, and I don't know of any Conn horns that were constructed that way.

I only see one Wurlitzer that has that configuration, but the rest of that horn is of a different pattern.

Horn-u-copia ID 4404
Horn-u-copia ID 4404  
Horn-u-copia ID 493
Horn-u-copia ID 493  
QUESTION: Kenton, Thank you for responding so quickly! Please look again at my horn. Structuturally it is very close to the Wurlitzer's on the Horn-u-copia site ID 4404 or 493. In fact on my horn the valve tube between the valves is not straight accross but alternates the same way as the afore mentioned horns - rear view. The site also indicates that the 4404 horn is 20 inches - match. So as a follow up - are those two horns accessible to get specs and information off the valve casing, such as serial number? I found a Wurlitzer Tuba that was sold in May 2011 the had a "B" and S/N 9900 on the second valve - similar. Worthpoint (the site) indicated in the headline it was a Conn manufacture.
And thank you for working with me on this!

ANSWER: Kevin,

You are correct.  Until I put your photo into Photoshop and blew it up, it appeared to have the tubing going straight across.  

Early on Wurlitzer got product from other vendors but then did purchase some product from Conn - basically their student models - Pan American.  So, it is certainly possible.  I think the Wurlitzer pictured is a Pan American.

But here is our Pan American Serial list:  http://www.horn-u-copia.net/serial/PanAmlist.html

But I don't know how to square that number.  

It also troubles me that it is not marked at all. I would think that if it had gone to Bruno or Wurlitzer, they would have made sure that their advertising was on it.  

QUESTION: Kenton, Thanks again for the quick response. I really appreciate your help and value your expertise and thoughts. I have been continuing the Internet quest on this and believe the horn is 1920's model, assuming is is a Wurlitzer "Lyric." Based on catalogs I found at the Cincinnati online library and vivamusica sites, it's a model 520. It appears in their catalogs 124 (192?), 128 (1924) & 131 (1926). The 1931 catalog #134 mentions the model, but does not provide a picture. The 1926 catalog does, on page 15, say "American Built." I am hoping some has one of these so I can compare the specs. Also, if this is Pan American, it would be interesting to know what model it's based. The Wurlitzer Lyric horns that are similar on your site - Do you know who has them?
Thanks again!!

Answer
1926 Alto
1926 Alto  

1925 Alto
1925 Alto  
The top Action Bell up models included:  The Wurlitzer altos were the 12C and 13C models.  Pan Am models prior to the mid 1930s were the 30C, 31C and 56C.  Other pre mid 1930s Conn Altos were the 2C, 3C.

I've had two Conn Altos through here.  I'll try to attach pictures.  I don't have them, but I do know where they are.

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott