Antique Musical Instruments/conn trumpet

Sorry to bother you again Kenton,
I have found this trumpet with some odd stuff around the tubing and bell. Is this red rot? or is it from aging.
thank you,

Red rot is a problem that occurs with brass instruments, but it is maybe more feared than deserved.  Both deterioration from the outside which you can see, and deterioration from the inside which you can't see until it has eaten complete through are referred to as red rot.  

If you see some discoloration on the outside, but if you push on the metal and it feels firm and solid than it is nothing to worry about.

However, if you see a dark spot with a pin point dark spot in the center, that might indicate that red rot has destroyed the tubing and then you might want to press on it and see if the metal fails.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott

Please note: My area is BRASS instruments, not other wind, string or percussion instruments. I will provide information on antique, obscure and out of production BRASS instruments. 1) Please don't ask for evaluations, I'll not provide them on this site. 2) I am often asked very similar questions, so I'd invite you to first check on Much of the information I have garnered about this topic, I have posted on this WEB site.

I perform in several historical bands, have informally researched the area, repair brass instruments, and operate a Forum dedicated to the topic at

B.S. Ed, M.S.