Antique Musical Instruments/conn trumpet

Question
trumpet
trumpet  

trumpet
trumpet  
Sorry to bother you again Kenton,
I have found this trumpet with some odd stuff around the tubing and bell. Is this red rot? or is it from aging.
thank you,

Answer
Red rot is a problem that occurs with brass instruments, but it is maybe more feared than deserved.  Both deterioration from the outside which you can see, and deterioration from the inside which you can't see until it has eaten complete through are referred to as red rot.  

If you see some discoloration on the outside, but if you push on the metal and it feels firm and solid than it is nothing to worry about.

However, if you see a dark spot with a pin point dark spot in the center, that might indicate that red rot has destroyed the tubing and then you might want to press on it and see if the metal fails.  

Antique Musical Instruments

Kenton Scott